In this article I will review what the best long range outdoor HDTV antenna on the market is today. Our list will only look at those antennas that boast at least a 70+ mile range.
Before we get started, I’d like to table is slight disclaimer. While most websites and review sites will be quick to provide you with a list of antennas claiming to reach 100, 150 or even 200 miles. I’m here to tell you that unfortunately you’ll be hard-pressed to reach any of these types of distances.
The truth is that current digital broadcast transmissions will begin to degrade drastically after approximately 60 miles. Any reception received beyond that will be “iffy” at best. The other reality is that in order to receive strong signals from long distances you are best going with a bigger style antenna with multiple sensing elements, mounted at a sufficient height.
Be advised, there are many small form factor antennas on the market that claim to cover very large distances. Heck, we’ve reviewed a bunch of them here on AntennaJunkies.com. And many of them are very good performers, however, we’ve never really tested them on the edges or fringe distances that we are discussing in this article today.
There are a few exceptions to this and you’ll find some of those antennas listed here. While we’re discussing it, if you’re interested in seeing what the “best-of-the-best” antennas are in this smaller form factor class, check out our Top 10 Antenna Picks article too!
Bottom line, if you’re living in a rural area where trees, rolling terrain, valleys or other types of obstructions are problematic, then the antennas listed in this article are going to be among your best options to consider – and sometimes bigger really is better!
Best Long Range Outdoor HDTV Antenna – The Breakdown
I’m going to break my list down of the “Best Long Range Outdoor HDTV Antenna”, into two broad categories – rural and urban area antennas.
The reason is that in rural areas you are more likely to be able to accommodate a larger antenna with more sensing elements. Whereas in urban areas you are not as likely to be able to accommodate one of these “big behemoths” due to various constraints – that could include aesthetics if nothing else.
Also, in rural areas you are more likely to be on the fringe of the broadcast towers you are trying to receive a signal from. The same may not be true in urban areas, therefore, the smaller more compact long range antennas may be a good option for you.
Best Long Range Outdoor HDTV Antenna – Rural Areas
If you fall into this category then you should be considering a larger style antenna. Particularly if you live on those fringe areas with trees, valleys, mountains or any other obstructions that are likely going to be an issue.
Bigger is better in these situations! Also, higher mounting in most circumstances is better too, generally speaking. An important step is to know where your broadcast towers lie in proximity to your antenna mounting.
Check out our TV Station Locator Tool page. It will bring you to a tool that will allow you to punch your zip code and it will compile a list of all the available channels in your area. It will also draw on a map all the TV broadcast towers in your area. Check out my YouTube video below:
I also recommend you check out TVFool.com.
A couple things to consider when locating your antenna:
- Try to find a location that has the clearest path to your broadcast towers.
- Keep your coax cable runs as short as possible in order to maximize signal strength to your tuner. Remember every 100 feet of cable can lose you anywhere between 1.5 dB’s and 5 dB depending on the frequency you’re trying to tune in.
- Don’t cheap out on the coax cabling used! Use a high quality RG6 cable such as the Mediabridge Broadband Coaxial Cable found on Amazon.
- Ground your antenna properly! Not only does this provide a layer of safety, it will also aid in the reduction of “noise” that can cause poor signal quality. For proper grounding techniques see my article here: How To Properly Ground A TV Antenna.
- Consider using a network tuner and android streaming box to stream your antenna signal to multiple televisions and devices throughout your home. The top two I recommend are:
So without further ado, here is what I would recommend as the best “Rural Area” antennas on the market!
The CM-5020 Masterpiece Antenna Series digital HDTV antenna in our opinion is the best long range outdoor HDTV antenna. It will receive both digital TV and HDTV programming at a reception range of up to 100 miles.
This high quality antenna is designed for extreme conditions and is easy to install. This Masterpiece Antenna is great for antenna reception markets in deep fringe areas where signal strength is weak.
The Platinum HD8200U also makes our list of the best long range outdoor HDTV antenna and has some of the highest gain of any consumer grade antenna. Built to last, so if you just want to purchase an antenna once, this is the one you want.
This TV antenna is great for the those in low-signal areas who are trying to overcome loss from trees and terrain. It features zinc-plated, high quality steel construction for maximum corrosion resistance and heavy duty construction.
I also includes weather proof cartridge house for download module with 75 Ohm coaxial connection. A 65 mile+ range, capable of receiving 4k ultra-high def broadcast signals where available makes this antenna a great choice.
The Channel Master CM 3020 rounds out our top 3 list of best long range outdoor HDTV antenna. It is a pre-assembled outdoor TV antenna which will receive UHF and HD signals. This antenna has a signal range of 100 miles and will pick up available local digital and HD signals. With an HD television you will pick up any crystal clear HD signals being broadcast in your area.
Best Long Range Outdoor HDTV Antenna – Urban Areas
If you’re looking to purchase a smaller more compact antenna that looks great and will give you good fringe coverage then keep reading. This category of antenna has many options to choose from. But be warned…not all are created equal!
The antennas listed here will not only look great, but deliver good range and picture quality at 70+ miles.
Touted as the most powerful 8-Element Bowtie Antenna on the market it is capable of picking up HDTV signal from towers 70 miles away. This makes receiving UHF frequency ranges, 470 MHz to 698 MHz, US Channels 14 – 69 a breeze.
It is one of the easiest antennas to mount if you follow our detailed guide below and the provided instructions. It is a very flexible product so you can install it indoors or outdoors, depending on your needs, however, for best results it is highly recommended that you install this antenna outdoors.
This antenna is a solid choice for the users living in rural or urban areas where they are surrounded with tall trees. Its multi-purpose arrangement provides flexibility and easy installation in areas with transmission towers in different directions.
The reflector ensures to boost up antenna’s power and prevents any kind of interference as well. Antenna comes included with 2 coaxial cables with 28” length for connecting panels of antenna. Boasting the best warranty on the market – Antenna Direct gives you a Limited Lifetime Warranty on all parts.
The big brother to the ClearStream 2V reviewed above this antenna will receive all UHF signals from broadcast towers 70 miles away. Its patented design provides the hightest quality of reception and stable range, under the harshest weather conditions and even under areas surrounded by trees. This antenna comes with full mounting hardware, is multi-directional and receives full HD 1080p broadcasts and is UHD 4K ready.
As is the case with all ClearStream Outdoor HDTV antennas, it has a wide beam angle that does not demand any sort of rotation for better reception. With this antenna, you can watch HD channels broadcasted by your local station and is designed to pick up major TV networks such as PBS, HBO, FOX, and CBS.
That means that after you install this antenna you will never need to subscribe to cable or satellite again. The ClearStream 4 Outdoor Antenna has been backed by an industry leading Lifetime Warranty period on all parts.
- Unique Quad-Loop design picks up UHF channels from 70 miles of range
- Wide Beam angle of antenna does not need rotation
- Patented design offers great reception without interference
- Antennas Direct Lifetime Warranty on parts
- Mounting hardware included for easy installation
- Multi-directional elements for top-notch reception
This is a personal favorite of mine and it is still in the top 10 list of any reputable site you’ll visit. Its classical design and 8 Bowtie arrangement allows you to receive signals from 70+ miles of range.
Targeting main DTV frequencies, this antenna receives free over-the-air digital and HD channels without having to pay any type of subscription fee. It is a perfect option for the users’ living in rural or suburban regions as it can effortlessly operate under afforested surroundings as well.
With this antenna, you can watch HD channels broadcasted by your local station. But that’s not it. It will also pick up major TV networks such as PBS, HBO, FOX, and CBS. That means you won’t miss your favorite show ever again, even when you have unsubscribed from satellite and cable.
- 70+ miles of range coverage
- Classic and convenient 8 Bowtie designed antenna
- Latest Antenna Technology- compact design and high performance
- High-quality sound and crystal clear picture provided
- Exceptional Lifetime Warranty on parts
- Easy installation with all the kit included
Any of the antennas listed here will be sure to exceed your expectation for quality at a range that will yield 70+ miles.
Best Long Range Outdoor HDTV Antenna – Final Words…
In my opinion any one of the antennas listed under either the “Rural” or “Urban” categories will yield exceptional results. I certainly hope I’ve answered the question, “What is the best long range outdoor HDTV antenna”! If you enjoyed this article, be sure to check out some of my other articles today:
- Best Android Box for IPTV
- Why You Need a VPN for IPTV
- How To Watch Live Sports Without Cable
- Next Gen TV – The Future Is Now!
- Sling TV vs Fubo TV – Which One Is Better?
- Best Coaxial Cable For HDTV
- What Is IPTV? Everything Cord Cutters Need To Know
- How To Watch IPTV On PC
- FREE TV – The Ultimate Cord Cutters Guide
- Are VPNs Safe? Find Out Here!
- HDHomeRun Premium TV Available Now!
- How To Watch Live TV On Your Computer
- MECOOL KM8 TV Box – Sorry Nvidia Shield TV
- Best Long Range Outdoor HDTV Antenna
- 7 Ways To Boost Your HDTV Antenna Signal!
- What Is The Best TV Antenna Signal Booster
- How To Properly Ground A TV Antenna
- Are 4K OTA Broadcasts Available Right Now?
- The Best HDTV Antenna Setup Right Now!
- The Best External HDTV Network Tuners
- Everything You Need To Know About ATSC 3.0
- Are IPTV Subscriptions Legal?
- How To Get A 4K Signal
- How To Watch TV While Camping
And if you haven’t already done so, be sure to check out my Top 10 Antenna Picks for this year and leave me a comment!