If you’re thinking about cutting the cable cord, now has never been a better time. With so many streaming options available on the Amazon Firestick you’ll never miss that over-priced cable bill. That said, you’re probably wonder how to get local channels on a Firestick and if it’s possible?
Well the short answer is yes, it is possible to get all your favorite local channels on a Fire TV Stick! Let’s look at some of the different options available. To get started, we’ll answer the following questions:
- Can I get local channels on Amazon Prime?
- Can I stream live sports on Amazon Prime?
- Can you get local channels on Firestick using a TV antenna?
- Can you get ABC, NBC and CBS on Firestick?
- Is there a monthly fee for Firestick?
Can I get local channels on Amazon Prime?
We told you in the introduction that this was possible. But how exactly can you do it? Well, if you’re familiar with Roku Devices, then the concept of “Channels” will be familiar. Amazon Prime offers subscription based programming by way of subscribing to your favorite low-cost networks through channels.
Some of the notable channels available are:
- Super Channel
However, there are many more. Check out their complete channel listing here. They are priced very reasonably (typically $5.99 to $7.99 / month) and many of them offer a free 30-day trial before you buy.
You’re probably thinking but how can I get local channels on Amazon Prime. Well, if you look deeper into some of these channels you will see that they offer live TV from your favorite networks. Let’s look at Stack TV (Amazon Canada).
This channel contains popular networks such as, Food Network, HGTV, Slice, Global, History Channel, Adult Swim, Showcase, Nation Geographic, Teletoon, Treehouse and YTV.
In the United States you have even more specialty channel options as listed above. Check here for a complete channel listing.
Can I stream Live Sports on Amazon Prime?
If you’re wondering if live sports streaming on Amazon Prime is an option, then you’re going to be happy! Amazon Prime has plenty of premium sports channels available for purchase as well. Let’s take a look at some:
- MLB.TV – this channel will give you access to live out of market professional baseball.
- NBA League Pass – this channel provides out of market professional basketball games.
- PGA Tour Live – live coverage available for select tournaments on the PGA tour.
Also, if you’re an NFL fan, you can watch Thursday Night Football for free with your Amazon Prime Subscription.
Can you get local channels on Firestick using a TV Antenna?
The answer to this question is yes! However, you are going to need some additional hardware (obviously) such as an antenna and a network tuner. We’ve done plenty of articles here on the website that discuss both.
For network tuners, there’s only one clear winner in our mind. Check out our comprehensive review of the HDHomeRun Network Tuner here.
Once you have these items setup, simply install the HDHomeRun App on your Firestick and you’ll be streaming your HDTV antenna signals to every smart device in your house.
Can you get ABC, NBC and CBS on Firestick?
The answer here is yes, however, you will need an existing cable provider to do it. If you do, then simply install one of the ABC, NBC or CBS All Access apps on your firestick, activate, and you’re good to go.
Here is a step-by-step guide to install these apps on your firestick:
- Turn on your firestick device.
- Make sure you’re on the Home Page and click on the Search icon.
- Type in the app you are looking for (eg. ABC)
- Once you have the results, choose Get or Download.
- Click Install.
- Once the installation is complete click on Open and activate the app!
Here is a step-by-step activation guide:
- Launch you’re newly installed app (see above).
- Select Choose to Activate Your Device.
- You should see an activation code on your screen.
- Using your mobile phone or web browser head to the URL provided on screen.
- Once at the activation website enter your code.
- Select the appropriate TV provider from the list and login to the app.
- Now your can watch live TV on the go!
Is there a monthly fee for Firestick?
Perhaps the wording on this question is not quite right. The best way to use your firestick is to sign up for an Amazon Prime account. With a Prime account you will get free 2-day shipping on millions of items and receive Amazon Prime Video completely free.
If you don’t yet have an Amazon Prime account, here’s how to take advantage of their free trial:
- Navigate to https://www.amazon.com/gp/video/offers.
- Click Start you 30-day free trial.
- Enter or create your login in credentials.
- Enter a payment method by clicking Add your Card. Note, you will not be charged if you cancel within the 30-day trial window.
- Complete and confirm your signup and you’ll be ready to start streaming!
We hope we’ve answered some of your question and you’re on your way to cutting the cable cord and streaming your favorite shows. The firestick by itself is not a replacement for a cable subscription, however, it the launching point for you to do so.
To truly replace your cable, then you may want to consider services like Sling TV, Fubo TV, Hulu TV, Philo TV and others. We’ve done comprehensive articles on all these services which we’ll link to below: